Thursday 7 May 2015

SBS Struggle Street - Mount Druitt - 6/5/15

Although Mount Druitt suburbs consists under the postcode of 2770 12-13 suburbs, under Blacktown City Council Wards 4 and 5 of Blacktown City Council and about 16 suburbs from North to South: Colebee to Minchinbury and East to West: Rooty Hill to Blackett, the show went on program, last night.

There are mixed reactions coming from Daily Telegragh, ABC news breakfast commentator that enjoyed it to mediocre to not wanting the show to continue on Face Book Group 2770 Watch and questioning our Mayor, Stephen Bali's response.

Daily Telegraph:

Struggle Street: Not a rigged reality

SBS has denied claims by participants in Struggle Street that they were given money, and driven to their drug dealers.

I personally support every move Mayor, Stephen Bali has made to protect the negative image that was portrayed of Mount Druitt people and every other Councillor that supported our Mayor's decision to get the message  sent across to SBS.  Let's see 'Struggle Street of Michael Obeid, Managing Director of SBS instead!

SBS Struggle Street 6/5/2015 - Mount Druitt

 Click here for previous blog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear John,

I watched the documentary "Struggle Street" last night, and to put it out there firstly. I actually found it informative and I did feel genuine sympathy for the people portrayed. Overall, based on the first episode, I felt that it was quite well done and overall a good story who really do struggle.

Reading this comment, you might think that I am just another privileged person living in another suburb such as the North Shore. However my background is far from that, I grew up in Whalan and I have lived there all my life for a good period of 28yrs. I have seen first hand some of the social and economic problems that we have. From education,mental health, drugs and lack of opportunity and support for young people. I grew up and went to school in a highly dysfunctional and in my opinion ineffective system of schooling. Granted there were some caring and passionate teachers in the area, however given that there was very little support or incentive, their efforts did not go far. Growing up in the area, I have seen countless versions and several incarnations "Peta and Ashley Kennedy" family who struggle with loved ones dealing with substance abuse and "Bailees" who have been abused in house and harassed in school unable to get an education. While it maybe easy to dismiss these stories as one offs or to focus on the bunch who do succeed. We still have to remember that there are countless more people out there who do fall through the cracks. I have personally experience harassment and bullying in an attempt to intimidate me to leave and drop out. I count myself lucky having not only survived and thrived, for today not only have I completed my degree, but also paid off half my house. Sadly there have been others who have not been fortunate as I have.

Admittedly the show does highlight some "inconvenient truths" and maybe uncomfortable to discuss, such as drug abuse, mental health, youth unemployment, these are issues we need to discuss. The documentary has done one good thing and that is to generate a debate and discussion on a topic that would have never received any air time. Granted, some of the issues highlighted in the documentary are not just exclusive to Mount Druitt, they are indeed issues that every community grapples with. However what separates a good community from a bad one is not how prosperous people are or the economic activity that is generated there. Rather it is our willingness to generate the courage deal with the uncomfortable and pressing issues that face us.

Best wished and Highest regards,

Wayne