Sunday 28 August 2016

So Why Do 38% Busways Drivers Go On Strike tomorrow?

Image result for busways logoAccording to a Busways bus driver representative, there is a reason or two for the strike and it is what I was thinking it was about, that the Western Sydney bus drivers are striking for.

I have been used to bus strikes when  I was young. I remember a six weeks bus  strike and I had to walk from my home in Paddington to St Marys Cathedral in  Sydney, each way every day.

Google maps walking distance:
30 min (2.2 km) via William St
Yet, I felt towards the end of 6 weeks, with my mother walking with me it was about an hour or so (based on the little feet I had).
So back to why the bus drivers are on strike. What I was told was the bus drivers have been given a 2% increase in wages and they are  not happy with that, they are asking for pay increase and secondly, there are on tight time constraints ans like time for breaks in between journey, to make them have comfortable drives. They are always on pressure and pressure may cause accidents and stress to drivers.

Busways have got their 'Ace' card up their  sleeve. Even though the strike is from 5am-9am tomorrow - they are calling in casual bus drivers from  all areas to help out. Thus there maybe little or no disruption to bus services. My understanding is it is on the 38% of bus drivers that will be on strike, so the other 62 % will be on the roads as per shift rosters.

click here for previous post

No comments: